CDM / Principal Designer
Everyone working on construction projects has Health and Safety duties and responsibilities whether they are clients, designers or contractors. The CDM Regulations impose certain duties on the Client and his designers in respect of construction projects.
The appointment of a competent CDM / Principal Designer is a statutory appointment and does not form part of the Architect’s, Designers’ or other Consultants’ normal services, and is the subject of a separate appointment. In the context of the Regulations it is essential that the CDM / Principal Designer should be experienced in the process of design and construction as well as the application of the Health and Safety regulations.
As Architects we have undertaken additional health and safety training and are able to provide the Principal Designer service. CDM / Principal Designer duties would include:
- Adequately advising the Client and Contractor of their obligations
- Notifying the project to the HSE
- Ensuring designs comply with the regulations
- Co-ordinating the designers
- Preparing a pre-tender Health & Safety Plan
- Preparing and maintaining a Health & Safety File and handing over same to Client on completion of the project